First-Time, First-Year Students
Accept your EOP admissions offer as soon as possible, as space is limited and is on a first-come-first-served basis. To secure your EOP spot at SSU, please accept Sonoma State’s admissions offer, by 1) paying your $50 reduced ERD deposit, and 2) registering for the online Summer Bridge Orientation Program.
What is Summer Bridge?
Summer Bridge (SB) is an exclusive hybrid summer orientation program for EOP, DREAM Center, and Seawolf Scholars, first-time, first-year students transitioning from high school to Sonoma State University. As an SB participant, you will have the opportunity to connect with other incoming first-time, first-year EOP/DREAM Center/SWS students, faculty, and professional staff. Participants will receive advising and mentoring, and the chance to familiarize themselves with SSU and the surrounding communities. We invite you to watch our Summer Bridge video to learn more about the program.
What is the purpose of Summer Bridge?
The primary focus of Summer Bridge is to give students "a taste" of university life, connect them to campus resources, provide them with opportunities to create supportive relationships, have the opportunity to take college courses that will earn them college-bearing units, and register for their fall courses.
When does Summer Bridge start?
- Part 1: Advising & Fall Registration: Monday, June 12th - Friday, June 16th (Remote)
- Part 2: UNIV 100B (Quantitative Reasoning): Monday, June 19th - Friday, July 7th (3 weeks) - 2 units (Remote)
- Part 3: NAMS 165 (Native Cultures of Northern California) and UNIV 100A (Reading & Writing): Monday, July 10th - Friday, August 4th - 4 units (Remote)
- Part 4: In-person component dates will be Saturday, August 12th - Saturday, August 19th
What is the time commitment for Summer Bridge?
Wednesday, June 7th - Sunday, June 11th: Online Pre-Registration Module content available via Summer Bridge 2023 Canvas Course (available 24/7)
Monday, June 12th - Friday, June 16th: Advising & Registration
- Monday, June 12th - live sessions to prepare for registration:
- 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Students will be expected to sign up for one live session by Friday, June 9th.
- Tuesday, June 13th - Friday, June 16th: One-hour one-on-one advising and registration appointment with an advisor.
Tuesday, June 20th - Friday, July 7th:
- Univ 100B: Monday, Wednesday, & Friday synchronous 10 am - 12 pm (2 units)
Monday, July 10th - Friday, August 4th:
- NAMS 165: Monday & Wednesday synchronous 10 am - 12 pm (3 units)
- UNIV 100A: Monday & Wednesday synchronous 1 pm - 2 pm (1 unit)
Am I required to attend Summer Bridge?
Attendance and completion of the full Summer Bridge program are required of all incoming first-time, first-year students. If, for whatever reason you are unable to participate in Summer Bridge, please email Summer Bridge for assistance.
Please note: Upon successfully completing Summer Bridge, students will receive up to six units of college credit and a $1,000 book and technology grant.
How much does it cost to attend Summer Bridge?
Summer Bridge is provided to our students at NO COST.
How do I register for Summer Bridge?
Admitted EOP students must sign-up for Summer Bridge Orientation by May 22. In order to be eligible for June registration, you must complete the following:
- Pay your Enrollment Registration Deposit to SSU before May 1 (The priority deadline is April 15, 2023).
- Register for Summer Bridge before May 22.
Summer Bridge is a first-come, first-served program; please do not risk the chance of being placed on a waitlist. Register for the 2023 Summer Bridge Orientation.
Can my parents or guardians participate in Summer Bridge?
Summer Bridge is currently available for incoming first-time, first-year EOP/DREAM Center/Seawolf Scholars students only, not for parents/guardians/family members. If parents or guardians have general questions or concerns, they should contact EOP by email. For our August in-person component of Summer Bridge, we will have afternoon sessions offered to parents/guardians/family members on Day 1, Saturday, August 13th. More information will be forthcoming.
Do I need to attend Sonoma State University's Summer Orientation (NOMA Nation Orientation) as well as Summer Bridge?
No, you do not need to attend both summer orientations. You will only participate in Summer Bridge. Summer Bridge is your summer orientation program. If you paid your Summer Orientation Fee, please notify EOP Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org to help you request your refund.
When will I register for classes and will someone assist me?
With the support and assistance from your assigned Summer Bridge Advisor, you will register for your fall classes during Summer Bridge the week of June 12th - 16th.
Who can I contact if I have questions regarding Summer Bridge?
For any questions whatsoever about Summer Bridge, please email Summer Bridge.
If I do not pass an A-G high school course with a grade of a ‘C’ or better, will my SSU and EOP Admissions be canceled?
In the event you do not pass a class, please email Jesus Garcia-Valdez, EOP Admissions Coordinator. He will help you navigate this process.